Schools that receive funding must ensure active supervision is provided during all Sporting Schools sessions to encourage maximum participation, fulfill the duty of care requirements of the school, uphold their Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) responsibilities, and support the coach in managing behaviours.
Session supervisor responsibilities can include:
- Take a roll call of all participating children;
- Manage behaviour of participants;
- Assist with coach delivery and maintain involvement in each session (active supervision);
- Provide feedback to the Sporting Schools Coordinator on quality of program delivery;
- Report any incidents to the Sporting Schools Coordinator;
- Ensure risk management policies are adhered to (including Work Health and Safety, and Public Liability insurances on behalf of the school);
- Ensure child protection policies are adhered to.
Coaches/Coaching providers responsibilities can include:
- Meet the minimum coaching registration requirements in order to be registered as a coach in Sporting Schools
- Ensure a safe, fair, inclusive environment for participants – Play by the Rules
- Report any incidents to the session supervisor
- Ensure session delivery complies with school risk management policies